It’s term time again, and that means it’s time for a new set of classes from me at P&G Wells Bookshop. I thought it would be best to give everyone – children and parents! – some time to settle into the new term before getting going with these classes, so they will begin in the week starting 19th September.
If you’re not familiar with what I do at Wells, here’s a quick resumé.
- It’s a 10-week course (excluding half term) that runs from 5 to 6.30pm. The cost is £105.
- There’s a group on Tuesdays and one on Thursdays.
- In the course, I help the children to create poems and stories in a range of different ways. The lessons are about giving children confidence to stretch their imaginations, while at the same time teaching them some tools and techniques that the best writers, even professionals, use to make their writing better.
- At the end of the course the children choose their favourite pieces and prepare them to go into a professionally-printed book. This gives them a lasting record of their work, as well as a real author’s experience of the pride of being published.
- Although the classes are not mainly about helping children with school, I do know that the classes have had an impact on their writing for school. Children have had awards from school for poems they have written in my groups, and teachers have told parents how their children’s writing has improved.
- Above all, I make the classes fun: creativity should be a joy, and I want the children to feel that writing is a pleasure that they can keep going all their lives.
Who is it for?
- Any child who loves to write. Enthusiasm about writing is much more important than anything else.
- Any child who really wants to write, but who feels held back by worry, lack of confidence, or doubts. I have lots of experience of helping writers like this get over their blocks and learn how to release their creativity.
- Any child who wants to boost their creative writing at school. I know I said the course isn’t mainly aimed at this, but anyone who feels underconfident in this area will definitely learn useful things.
All booking is handled by P&G Wells. You can email them or call them on 01962 852016 to reserve places. The classroom is small, so groups are limited to 12 children, which means it’s a good idea to book sooner rather than later!
If you have any questions, please email me and I’ll do my best to help. If your child has already done a course with me, you might like to know that I do fresh classes every time: they won’t be repeating exercises!