It’s that time again: a new term, so I have a new Creative Writing course starting Thursday Jan 12th at Wells Bookshop, Winchester. Here’s a rundown of what it’s all about:
- It’s for children aged between 7 and 12,
- It’s a 10-week course (excluding half term) that runs from 5 to 6.30pm.
- The cost is £105.
- There’s a group on Thursdays; if there’s enough demand there may also be one on Tuesdays.
- In the course, I help the children to create poems and stories in a range of different ways. The lessons are about giving children confidence to stretch their imaginations, while at the same time teaching them some tools and techniques that the best writers, even professionals, use to make their writing better.
- At the end of the course the children choose their favourite pieces and prepare them to go into a professionally-printed book. This gives them a lasting record of their work, as well as a real author’s experience of the pride of being published.
- Although the classes are not mainly about helping children with school, I do know that the classes have had an impact on their writing for school. Children have had awards from school for poems they have written in my groups, and teachers have told parents how their children’s writing has improved.
- Above all, I make the classes fun: creativity should be a joy, and I want the children to feel that writing is a pleasure that they can keep going all their lives.
Who is it for?
- Any child who loves to write. Enthusiasm about writing is much more important than anything else.
- Any child who really wants to write, but who feels held back. I have lots of experience of helping young writers get over their blocks and learn how to release their creativity.
- Any child who wants to boost their creative writing at school. I know I said the course isn’t mainly aimed at this, but anyone who feels underconfident in this area will definitely learn useful things.
All booking is handled by P&G Wells. You can email them or call them on 01962 852016 to reserve places. The groups are limited to 12 children, which means it’s a good idea to book sooner rather than later!
If you have any questions, please email me and I’ll do my best to help. If your child has already done a course with me, you might like to know that I do fresh classes every time: they won’t be repeating exercises!