Through my Creative Writing Mentoring, I aim to pass on my insights as a writer and teacher, to you. I’ve been writing since I was 16, over a quarter-century ago; I’ve been teaching writing—poetry, fiction, non fiction, essays, memoir and more—since 2005. From those experiences, I’ve learned a great deal about how to write, and how to help others to write better.
Why Do Mentoring in Creative Writing?
Mentoring is a superb way to make rapid progress as a creative writer: many of the world’s best writers have learned their craft through the advice and guidance of a more experienced writer giving detailed attention to their work. My mentoring service continues that centuries-old tradition of how to learn writing. I can help you:
- Grow your confidence as a writer
- Develop your technical skills
- Get more and better ideas to work with
- Learn the work habits of professional writers
- Find authors and books that help you
- Discover where your talents most lie
- Learn what you need to work on.
How It Works
In regular one-to-one sessions, I will:
- Set you inspiring exercises to do
- Give you detailed feedback on your writing so far: what you’re doing well, what you need to work on
- Suggest books and authors to read
- Find sources of creativity that work for you
- Help you manage the mechanics of writing: making time, balancing new ideas with redrafting, making submissions, and so on.
If you feel like you’ve come some distance with your writing, but now need some intensive input to help you take it further, then you’re at the perfect point to benefit from mentoring. For this service I charge $60 an hour; I can work face-to-face, over phone or Skype, or by email.
If you’d like to know more, please email me. I look forward to hearing from you!